St Aidan’s College (originally St Aidan’s Society), a hill college of Durham University, was founded in 1947, and has over 800 members.
Originally situated on the bailey in Durham, St Aidan’s home was what is now the Durham Union Society’s offices and bar, known as 24s. The current college buildings were designed by Basil Spence, the architect who designed The New Zealand Parliament’s executive wing building, known as the ‘Beehive’.
Aidan’s quirky bar is accessible from the side of the building, and the college’s location on the crest of Elvet Hill affords incredible views of the city of Durham – especially the cathedral (pictured). St Aidan’s College is close to St Mary’s and Van Mildert College.
Contact St Aidan’s College
Principal: Dr. Susan Frenk